This Fusilli alla Vodka recipe could not be any easier, or more delicious to make. It is definitely a decadent dish, best reserved for a special occasion or for splurging for NO OCCASION OTHER THAN THAT YOU FEEL LIKE IT!
I prefer to make vodka pasta with huge fusilli pasta because it catches the sauce in all of it’s nooks and crannies, and I think it’s much more elegant than penne! But do your thing, use whatever tube-y noodle you have.
Fusilli alla Vodka
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 pound penne or fusilli pasta
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp vodka
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- For serving: grated parmesan, basil
- Optional: fresh mozzarella
- Warm 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 grated garlic cloves and cook until softened and light brown, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook 1 pound fusilli pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water and drain.
- Stir in 1/2 cup tomato paste until it darkens in color and fully incorporates with the oil. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes until simmering. Add 2 tablespoons vodka and continue stirring until it has evaporated.
- Stir in 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes and 2 cups heavy cream and reduce heat to medium-low. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
- When sauce is thick and smooth, add the cooked, drained pasta and 1 tablespoon butter. Toss to combine. If you need to loosen the sauce, add a couple of tablespoons of cooking water at a time until the right consistency is achieved. It should cling to the pasta, and look very smooth and glossy.
- Divide between four bowls and top with Parmesan and basil. Add 1 ounce cubed, fresh mozzarella to each bowl if desired.