This is kind of like more fun, more delicious way to eat a salad. my chicken breast cooking technique will give you the tastiest, juiciest chicken. cabbage is really low calorie (33 cals per cup!) but really HIGH in fiber, so it’s quite filling. Not to mention SO DELICIOUS when cooked like this, and so cheap! plus… pineapple avocado salsa!!!
One-Skillet Jerk Chicken and Cabbage
- Large mixing bowl
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- 10 or 12 inch skillet (preferably cast iron)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons jerk or blackening seasoning
- Kosher salt
- 2 limes, juice of divided
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 10 to 16 ounce bag shredded green cabbage
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons jerk seasoning, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and the juice of 1 lime in a large bowl. Add 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts and toss to coat. Marinate for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours.
- Heat a 10 or 12 inch skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. Sear chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on the first side, until you get a nice crust. Flip the chicken, cut the heat down to low and cover 10 to 12 minutes, until an internal thermometer registers 160°F (it will continue cooking off the heat to reach 165°F). Transfer the chicken to a cutting board.
- Add 1 bag of cabbage to the skillet and toss to coat in those chicken juices. If needed, add a bit of oil if there’s not any fat left in the pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, tossing frequently until wilted. Stir in 2 tablespoons vinegar and 1 tablespoon butter. Season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and keep stirring until tender and delicious. Adjust seasoning to taste – you might want more salt or vinegar.
- Make the pineapple salsa by tossing 1 cup diced pineapple, 1 diced avocado, 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro, the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and the remaining juice of 1 lime in a bowl. Season to taste with salt.
- Slice the chicken on the bias and serve over cabbage with salsa on top.