This has to be one of my most stupid-simple, ridiculously delicious recipes. I literally had a moment at the grocery store where I as like wait – maybe I could just smoosh the entire sausage roll into one gigantic flat sausage patty to make this ridiculously easy… and yep, it worked.
Don’t be afraid to undercook those scrambled eggs like I advise so that they don’t turn hard and rubbery when you bake the rolls!
A perfect Christmas morning breakfast since you can make these up to 24 hours in advance.
Everything Bagel Sausage Egg and Cheese Rolls
- Rimmed baking sheet
- aluminum foil
- Parchment paper
- Serrated knife
- Nonstick skillet
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 12- pack of King’s Hawaiian rolls
- 4 ounces thinly sliced colby jack cheese
- everything bagel seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Yes, I know I always tell you not to use foil but… use it here. If you don’t have it, you can use parchment.
- Plop the sausage down right in the center of the baking sheet and smoosh it out into a thin rectangle until it’s about 1/2 inch wider than the rolls. You’re creating one giant rectangular sausage patty.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Drain off the grease and pat off any excess with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, cook the eggs. Crack 8 eggs into a large bowl and season with 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt and a pinch of black pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add eggs and 1 tbsp butter to a large nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring often with a spatula and scraping the bottom of the pan, until they are cooked through but still very wet looking, about 8 minutes. This method takes a while, and it’ll look like nothings happening at the beginning, but stick with it!
- Now let’s get to the rolls. If you’re baking these tomorrow, you can leave these right on that white cardboard tray and wrap them back up in the plastic baggy after you finish assembling. If baking today, transfer the rolls to a sheet of parchment paper. Use a large serrated knife to slice the rolls in half and separate the tips from the bottoms, keeping them intact and stuck together.
- Line the bottom of the rolls with sliced cheese. Once you’ve gotten ALL of the grease off of the sausage, pick up that entire sausage rectangle and throw it on top! Now distribute the eggs evenly over top, then another layer of cheese, then close. Spray the tops with cooking spray OR brush with melted butter, then sprinkle EBTB over top.
- Carefully throw the foil away – if you try hard you can do this without spilling any grease onto the baking sheet! Then lift the rolls by the parchment paper that they’re on, and transfer that to the same baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes if baking right away, 12 to 15 if baking from the fridge.