I love making drop biscuits, the simpler, quicker, more fool-proof version of… regular biscuits. All you need is a bowl, a fork, a baking sheet and 20 minutes to throw these guys together.
I packed mine with sharp cheddar and fresh chives, but I’ll list tons of different flavor variations below. Or, omit the cheddar and chives for plain biscuits! They’re best fresh, hot out of the oven, which is why I’ve made this a small batch recipe. It only makes 6 or 7 biscuits! You can’t just double any baking recipe, but this one can be easily doubled, so go for it if you’re feeding a crowd!
They’re crisp on the outside, tender on the inside, and have so much savory biscuit flavor. I dare you to make a sausage egg and cheese biscuit with them!
20-Minute Cheddar Chive Drop Biscuits
- 1 large bowl
- 1 fork
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp lemon pepper (or regular pepper
- 4 tbsp 4 tablespoons butter, diced
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp minced chives
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Cooking spray
- Flaky sea salt
- All purpose flour: whole wheat flour, white wheat flour, pastry flour, bread flour but you might need a tiny bit more milk.
- Baking powder: ya need it, sorry.
- Garlic powder: omit! Could try grating in 1 garlic clove!
- Lemon pepper: lemon pepper, I love you! But if you don’t have any, black pepper totally works. Like spice? Add 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
- Butter: an alternative dairy-free butter could work, just get it really cold so that you can cut it into the flour.
- Cheddar cheese: any hard or semi-hard grated cheese! Gouda! Parm! Manchego!
- Chives: 1 teaspoon dried chives, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme.
- Whole milk: any milk or cream will do the trick!
- Cooking spray: drizzle olive oil over top!
- Flaky sea salt: omit!Don’t use kosher salt – we are after those big, beautiful flakes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/8 teaspoon lemon pepper (or regular pepper).
- Dice up 4 tablespoons of cold butter, toss it into the flour, then use your fingers to pinch it into the flour until everything’s crumbly and combined. Big butter clumps are A-OK, that’s how we get flaky biscuits!
- Toss in 2 ounces (1/2 cup) grated cheddar cheese (or whatever!) and 2 tablespoons minced chives (or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon of a dried herb you like).
- Stir in 1/2 cup whole milk until just combined. Don’t over-stir! The dough will be wet and sticky.
- Drop the batter by big spoonfuls (I use an ice cream scoop and made 7 biscuits) onto the lined baking sheet, 1-inch apart. Spray the tops with cooking spray and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the tops are golden-brown and crispy.
- Reheat leftovers in the oven (not microwave!) for 5 minutes at 400°F.
- These babies freeze like a charm! I throw them in a gallon ziploc once cool, get all the air out, and freeze for months. When it’s time to reheat, I throw them on a baking sheet and bake at 425 for 7 to 10 minutes. Delish!