This Trader Joe’s Tuesday recipe is VERY fun, incredibly delicious, and can really be made using ingredients from any store! The idea for spreading the mascarpone on the noodles and then just smushing them down into the sauce is one of my more genius cooking hacks! But all credit for stovetop lasagna goes to the cookbook, “Keepers”, which I highly recommend!
- 10 to 12 inch skillet (literally, that’s all you need)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil only if using chicken or turkey
- 1 pound ground meat any kind!!
- 1 teaspoon Trader Joes’ onion salt or 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon oregano.
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 25 ounce jar of your favorite pasta sauce (I used Trader Joe’s Three Cheese Pomodoro)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 box of no-boil lasagna noodles
- 6-8 ounces of mascarpone or cream cheese or ricotta
- 1 to 2 cups of shredded mozzarella
- If using chicken or turkey use oil. If using sausage, or beef or pork omit the oil.
- Warm oil in a 10 to 12 inch Skillet or sauce pan over high heat. Add ground meat and cook, chopping into tiny crumbles, until almost cooked through. Add onion salt and salt and stir to combine. When all of the excess liquid has evaporated, stir in your favorite pasta sauce. Add 2 tablespoons of water to the jat and shake it up to get all of the sauce off the sides of the jar. Pour that into the skillet. Bring the mixture to a simmer and then reduce to low heat.
- Spread a thin layer of mascarpone onto 3 noodles, then smoosh them down to the bottom of the skillet to make a layer of noodles, leaving a layer of tomato-meat sauce on bottom, so the noodles don’t burn. You can break the noodles apart to fit into the corners.
- Make 2 to 3 more layers with mascarpone-coated noodles (3 layers total is using a 12 inch skillet, 4 total is using a 10 inch skillet). Just smoosh the sauce around to make rough layers. They DO NOT need to be perfect!
- Cover the skillet and turn the heat back up to medium. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until the noodles are tender.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella over top. Cover for 2 more minutes, or until cooked through.
- Let the lasagna rest, off the heats for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice and serve and prepare to be AMAZED at what you just did!