I first discovered the joys of blending vegan cream cheese into eggs when I was working on a project for a client who wanted me to recreate those delicious Starbucks egg bites. They blend cottage cheese into their eggs, but I needed a dairy-free alternative, and nut cream cheese did the trick. I like using Kite Hill or Miyoko’s products. This gives the eggs that creamy consistency, even though they are baked.
If you’re not on Whole30, you could use regular cream cheese or cottage cheese. Or, if you’re an almond milk person and already have it in the house, just use that.
Whole30 Chicken Sausage & Spinach Frittata
- ovenproof skillet
- Chef’s knife
- immersion blender or regular blender
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion minced
- 2 big handfuls about 2 cups spinach
- 2 savory chicken sausage links diced
- 10 large eggs
- 1/3 cup almond milk or cashew cream cheese or almond ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Optional: avocado slices chopped fresh herbs, hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Heat oil in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet such as a cast iron over medium heat. Cook shallot until softened, about 2 minutes; add kale and sausage and cook until kale is slightly wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- Blend eggs, nut cream cheese, salt, and red pepper flakes in a bowl using an immersion blender until smooth; pour into skillet.
- Bake in preheated oven until frittata no longer wobbles when you shake the handle, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Top frittata with avocado and parsley as desired. Cut into slices to serve.